Please talk to your child’s class teacher as soon as possible if you have any concerns about your child’s education or well-being in school.

If concerns remain, these should be referred to the Headteacher.

The stages of the formal complaints procedure established by the Local Authority are:

  1. Settling the complaint informally with the class teacher or Headteacher
  2. Formal reference to the Governing Body. This should be in the form of a letter addressed to the Chair of Governors, c/o the School.
  3. Formal reference to the Local Authority